Welcome to Gorton Children’s Learning Center! Our program provides flexible early childhood care, education, and activities for children ages six weeks to five years. We are housed within Gorton Center, with 2,100 square feet of brightly colored childcare space spread over three classrooms, and a private, updated playground for all ages. Each year, children from 100 area families enjoy this nurturing, safe, convenient, and fun environment.
When your child attends the Children’s Learning Center (CLC), they are placed in a classroom with warm, caring staff and children in their age group. Our classrooms are divided by age, infants to 24 months (maximum eight children to two adults), 2 years to young 3-year-olds (maximum 16 children with two adults), and older 3-year-olds through 5-year-olds (maximum 18 children with two adults). All age groupings and ratios are kept in accordance with DCFS rules and regulations to ensure safety.
- Pay the enrollment fee and choose the option best suited for your family.
- Email your standing reservation request to the CLC director.
- You will receive confirmation of your reservation within one business day.
- Print the enrollment packet and complete the registration packet. Print and fill out DHS medical form and lead questionnaire. Make a copy of each child’s birth certificate.
- Drop off all of the completed forms to the CLC director for review.
- Arrive at your designated time and day to drop off your child for care.
We have prepared a useful handbook that includes the Children’s Learning Center’s background, policies, and helpful information.
Mini Camps are offered on days when school is not in session. Camp Gorton runs for nine weeks each summer.
CHILD / TEACHER RATIOS
Infants (6 weeks-15 months): 4:1
Toddlers (15-24 months): 5:1
2 year-olds: 8:1
3-5 year-olds: 10:1
OPERATING DAYS AND HOURS
The Center is open from 8:15 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Our calendar follows a typical 9-month school calendar; however, we will not be closed every day school is closed. The Children’s Learning Center is closed on all major school holidays. During the summer, Camp Gorton sessions are offered for nine weeks. The Center is closed for a few weeks in August. A monthly calendar is available for your convenience.
ENROLLMENT AND FEES
The annual enrollment fee for a family enrolling one child is $225. The annual fee for a family enrolling two or more children is $275. Enrollment fees are non-refundable. All charges are based on a per age group hourly rate info can be found in the enrollment forms and on the ENROLL page.
It is important for all of the children in our care to be safe and healthy. Each parent is responsible for assessing their child before bringing them to the Children’s Learning Center. Once you arrive at the Center, it is a DCFS requirement that you wash your child’s hands upon entering a classroom.
You should keep your child home if:
- Your child has a fever of 100 degrees or more
- Your child has vomited within the last 24 hours
- Your child has had diarrhea
- Your child has discharge from one or both of their eyes
- Your child has an unexplained rash
- Your child has a sore throat and swollen glands
- Your child is unusually pale, cranky, has a lack of appetite, or is confused
- Your child has lice or nits
The Children’s Learning Center will send your child home if any of the above symptoms are seen.
The Children’s Learning Center reserves the right to ask for a physician’s note before allowing your child back into our care.