Evening/Weekend Porter hours at Gorton Community Center hours are late afternoon (3pm-thru evening) until all public patrons have exited the building Monday to Friday, and various times on the weekend. Porters report to the Facilities Manager or their designee. Evening/Weekend Porters are the primary contact and “face of Gorton” to our community when the Gorton office is closed, and therefore, the ability of the Porter to extend gracious hospitality to everyone encountered is critical to success in this role. The Evening/Weekend Porter also provides a security presence in the building.
Porters must be able to work independently within a team and take initiative where appropriate. Good communication skills are imperative. This position is service-oriented, and all porters must be comfortable with the public and willing to help our tenants and clients. Porters must become familiar with basic audio-visual system or be willing to learn how to set up and service the systems Gorton owns. The hours are varying; set days may change at times to cover various events and other porters’ vacation schedules. Candidates must possess a willingness to learn new skills and work as a team player. This position requires someone who has the ability and willingness to jump in where needed and be proactive when opportunities present themselves. An outgoing personality, good sense of humor, and reliability are necessary.
- Manage set ups and take downs during each shift, including but not limited to: tables and chairs, audio-visual equipment, LCD projectors and screens, in accordance with posted schedules.
- Assist clients with unanticipated needs and be available for them.
- When programs are over, put all tables, chairs, etc away in the proper places and restore room to its customary state or set up for the next event in accordance with the posted floor plan.
- Inspect rooms and clean as necessary so that they are ready for the next day
- In the event of a morning meeting the following day, set up for that event.
- Replace light bulbs where needed
- Remove garbage in rental rooms and public areas, and take all trash to the dumpster. Replace plastic bags in all garbage receptacles.
- Vacuum hallways, staircases, meeting rooms, wipe down surfaces in all kitchens.
- If it snows, shovel walks outside the building to provide access from parking lots.
- Secure the building when the shift is complete.
Job Type: Part-time