Red Cross Blood Drive
THE BLOOD DRIVE WILL GO ON DESPITE COVID-19!
As organizations limit all “non-essential activity”, a blood drive is an essential activity, as outlined by
the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). It is an imperative
part of community health and public preparedness plans to maintain blood collection during this
challenging time to ensure patient survival.
NO TRANSMISSION BY BLOOD
There have been no reported cases of any respiratory virus being transmitted by blood, including this
coronavirus (COVID-19). Donating blood is a safe process and people should not hesitate to give blood.
The Red Cross always employs thorough safety protocols to help prevent the spread of any type of
infection. In response to COVID-19, we’ve implemented additional precautionary methods, including but
not limited to:
• All donors are temperature-screened before being permitted into the blood drive. If bodily temperature
is above 99.5°F, the donor is asked to donate another time instead
• All Red Cross staff are asked to check their temperature before presenting to work, and will not to
report for work if they are showing any symptoms or test above 99.5°F
• Blood donors are asked to use hand sanitizer before and during the donation process
• Staff wear gloves throughout the donation process, changing gloves between every donor
• Donor beds are sanitized between every donor
• We’re implementing medically-recommended space between donors wherever possible. Building drive
locations are especially helpful in facilitating social distancing.
• Each day we assess the need and opportunity to enhance our precautions; We will always put the
safety of our volunteer partners and staff first.
NEED NEVER STOPS
Our commitment is tested every year with unexpected weather and illness events—it is during this time
that we must hold tighter to our humanity and protect the most vulnerable among us.
Donate blood at Gorton! Come on Monday May 4th, and help save lives at the Red Cross Blood Drive.
PLEASE NOTE, IT IS EXTREMELY BENEFICIAL TO YOU AND RED CROSS TO PRE-REGISTER! THIS CAN BE DONE BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW AND WILL SAVE YOU TIME! IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN DONATING, THE RED CROSS CAN BETTER PREPARE TO ACCOMMODATE DONORS BY KNOWING NUMBERS AHEAD OF TIME. THIS PROCESS TAKES ONLY A FEW MINUTES.
If you want to donate blood, make sure to eat a healthy meal and drink an extra 16 oz. of water and fluids before the donation.
Also, bring a photo ID, your blood donor card, or two other forms of ID. You can save up to 15 minutes when you donate blood by using RapidPass! Visit redcrossblood.org/RapidPass for more information (note: RapidPass can only be completed on the day of your donation).
Gorton thanks you for donating blood and helping to save lives!
To show our appreciation every person who donates will receive a $5 off movie voucher.
Gorton Community Center will take and may use photos and videos from this event for its promotional purposes. Your attendance indicates your consent to the above.