- This event has passed.
A stand up and cheer celebration of the first ever all-female crew to enter a round-the-world sailing competition.
THE FILM SERIES AT GORTON PRESENTS:
Maiden is the story of how Tracy Edwards, a 24-year-old cook in charter boats, became the skipper of the first ever all-female crew to enter the Whitbread Round the World in 1989. Tracy’s inspirational dream was opposed on all sides: her male competitors thought an all-women crew would never make it, the chauvinistic yachting press took bets on her failure, and potential sponsors rejected her, fearing they would die at sea and generate bad publicity. But Tracy refused to give up: she remortgaged her home and bought a secondhand boat, putting everything on the line to ensure the team made it to the start line. Although blessed with tremendous self-belief Tracy was also beset by crippling doubts and was only able to make it through with the support of her remarkable crew. With their help she went on to shock the sport world and prove that women are very much the equal of men.
Directed by Alex Holmes
Individually wrapped concessions available for purchase before the film.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT GORTON:
Indoor screenings are capped at 50 (theater capacity: 300) and seating will be socially distanced. In compliance with state and local mandates, Gorton Community Center requires masks for entry. Patrons may remove their masks when/if they are sitting and eating during the film. Gorton offers amply hand sanitizer throughout the building and has implemented one way entrances and exits. Our team cleans high touch surfaces regularly and the theater is thoroughly cleaned after each screening and event. For additional questions or suggestions regarding film series safety, please email firstname.lastname@example.org – thank you!
Gorton Community Center will take and may use photos and videos from this event for its promotional purposes. Your attendance indicates your consent to the above.
Film and Event Refund and Cancellation Policy: There is no refund given for unused film or event tickets.
Please note the safety guidelines we have in place for the John and Nancy Hughes Theater:
- Doors will open 30 minutes before showtime.
- Individually wrapped drinks & concessions available prior to the film.
- There are 300 seats in the theater, and only 50 patrons are allowed to attend.
- Please enter the building via the west door (adjacent to the main parking lot) and exit from Gorton via the south door (under the porte cochere).
- Access to the theater from the west door is down a short flight of stairs. You may also access the theater by entering the elevator on the main floor and choosing 1B, which will let you out on the theater level. Then, exit the south door on the theater level at the end of the movie. Each party should ride the elevator separately.
- When walking in shared spaces, remember to keep a social distance of six feet between yourself and other patrons.
- All patrons must wear a mask except when seated and eating or drinking concessions while seated.
- If you have a ticket, please proceed directly to the theater. If you need to purchase a ticket, please do so at the main reception area prior to going to the theater.
By purchasing a ticket to an event at Gorton, I acknowledge the contagious nature of COVID-19 and voluntarily assume the risk that my child(ren) and/or I may be exposed to or infected by COVID-19 by attending or participating in a Gorton program, event or activity and that such exposure or infection may result in personal injury, illness, permanent disability, and death. I understand that the risk of becoming exposed to or infected by COVID-19 at Gorton may result from the actions, omissions, or negligence of myself and others, including, but not limited to, Gorton employees, volunteers, and program participants and their families. I voluntarily agree to assume all of the foregoing risks and accept sole responsibility for any injury to my child(ren) or myself (including, but not limited to, personal injury, disability, and death), illness, damage, loss, claim, liability, or expense, of any kind, that I or my child(ren) may experience or incur in connection with my or my child(ren)’s attendance at Gorton or participation in a Gorton program, event or activity (“Claims”). On my behalf, and on behalf of my children, I hereby release, covenant not to sue, discharge, and hold harmless Gorton, its employees, agents, and representatives, of and from the Claims, including all liabilities, claims, actions, damages, costs or expenses of any kind arising out of or relating thereto. I understand and agree that this release includes any Claims based on the actions, omissions, or negligence of Gorton, its employees, agents, and representatives, whether a COVID-19 infection occurs before, during, or after participation in any Gorton program, event or activity.