- This event has passed.
Call for Submissions: At Home Film Festival Part of the Virtually Gorton
Drumroll please…the prompt for Week 3 is HEART. We cannot wait to see and hear your stories!
At Home Film Festival is a month-long documentary film festival designed to engage families, students and individuals in reflective and creative video storytelling. The festival will have 4 weekly prompts that will be announced every Monday meant to guide filmmakers in their process. Final submissions will be due on Sunday giving all participants a week to work on each prompt. All films will be 1 minute in length and can be created using one’s phone, camera or whatever other equipment they wish to use. The idea is not to have a perfect film but an authentic story told through you/your family’s voice.
If your film is selected then it will be shared via Gorton’s website/social media pages to our community and once we are able to open again all selected films will be shown on the big screen in the John & Nancy Hughes Theater. This event will be our very first At Home Film Festival screenings and it will be a fantastic celebration!
Each prompt is open ended you can answer one of these questions or interpret it however you like.
Week 3’s Prompt: HEART
Going back to Gorton’s mission which is to be the “gathering place in the HEART of the community” we thought HEART would be a fun prompt for this week’s submissions. Interpret it however you see fit–what stories have moved you these past few weeks? What are some stories you can share about those you love through these times? What do you love to do? What warms your heart when you see it? This one is meant to really get those creative juices flowing…it can be anything your heart (pun-intended) desires. Cannot see what you all come up with!
- Films must be a minute in length or less.
- Films must be submitted by 5pm on the Sunday of the deadline.
- By submitting your film you are giving Gorton Community Center permission share it as content on our website, social media pages and other channels. It will also be shown on the big screen in the John & Nancy Hughes Theater at a later date.
- Please write the names you wish us to reference in your title card when you submit it. For example, “Submitted by the Hall Family” or “Submitted by Jamie Hall”.
- Film content must be agreeable to viewers of all ages. Films containing content that is not such as swear words will not be selected.
Gorton and our partner Lake Forest New Media will be here to help you through the filmmaking process. Please let us know if you have any questions! We can be reached via email email@example.com or phone (847) 810-4114.
Here are some materials to get you started:
- Personal Video Storytelling – How To Video
- Production Guide – This document has production steps and examples to get your creativity flowing. When you are ready to begin production make a copy for your production team and fill it in with your own story.
Here are some example films from the first prompt “Gather”:
SUBMITTING YOUR FILM:
We ask that film submissions via google drive link to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contact us at that email address if you have any issue or questions about submitting.
DATES & DEADLINES:
Prompts will be announced every Monday giving all participants 7 days to work on their submissions.
- Week 1: GATHER: Part of Gorton’s mission is “to be the gathering place in the heart of our community”. So our first prompt is GATHER. We want to know what gathering means to you during this time. Some questions to consider: Where do you gather? How do you gather? Who do you gather with? How has gathering changed? This prompt is meant to be open ended so feel free to address it however you see fit.
- Prompt 2: CREATE/LEARN: Gorton is filled with creativity and learning whether it is found by taking one of our many classes, engaging with our resident non-profits or experiencing our arts & culture event offerings. For the second prompt of At Home Film Festival, we wanted to focus on this part of our mission that is why Week two’s prompt is CREATE/LEARN. We want to know what you have been creating or learning through all of this. This could mean a new skill or craft, something you learned to cook or some sort of art you’ve been creating OR this could be more introspective…what have you learned about yourself? What has this time shown you about your community and those around you? Just some ideas to consider.This prompt is meant to be open ended so feel free to address it however you see fit.
- Prompt 3: HEART
- Prompt 4: Announced May 4
Submissions will be due the following Sunday (a week after the prompt is announced):
- Heart Submissions: May 3
- Submission 4: May 10
Gorton Community Center will take and may use photos and videos from this event for its promotional purposes. Your attendance indicates your consent to the above.
Film and Event Refund and Cancellation Policy: There is no refund given for unused film or event tickets.
By purchasing a ticket to an event at Gorton, I acknowledge the contagious nature of COVID-19 and voluntarily assume the risk that my child(ren) and/or I may be exposed to or infected by COVID-19 by attending or participating in a Gorton program, event or activity and that such exposure or infection may result in personal injury, illness, permanent disability, and death. I understand that the risk of becoming exposed to or infected by COVID-19 at Gorton may result from the actions, omissions, or negligence of myself and others, including, but not limited to, Gorton employees, volunteers, and program participants and their families. I voluntarily agree to assume all of the foregoing risks and accept sole responsibility for any injury to my child(ren) or myself (including, but not limited to, personal injury, disability, and death), illness, damage, loss, claim, liability, or expense, of any kind, that I or my child(ren) may experience or incur in connection with my or my child(ren)’s attendance at Gorton or participation in a Gorton program, event or activity (“Claims”). On my behalf, and on behalf of my children, I hereby release, covenant not to sue, discharge, and hold harmless Gorton, its employees, agents, and representatives, of and from the Claims, including all liabilities, claims, actions, damages, costs or expenses of any kind arising out of or relating thereto. I understand and agree that this release includes any Claims based on the actions, omissions, or negligence of Gorton, its employees, agents, and representatives, whether a COVID-19 infection occurs before, during, or after participation in any Gorton program, event or activity.